Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The only kind of wine I'm allowed...

It was 2 days after the official "we're moving" decision was made that we found out I was pregnant. After much thought, I devised what I thought was a perfect professional plan for myself. I would temp! I am well over-qualified for admin work, so I didn't think there would be much trouble getting assignments to take up the next 6 months of baby growing. Sure, these jobs wouldn't be resume builders, but I would be bringing in some money and keeping busy. Also, it would afford me a week off to take the web development class in July I signed up for. This class is to advance my grand scheme of becoming a freelance web developer from home! It was all going to work out perfect!

Well, I've been here for over 2 weeks and I haven't heard squat from the temp agency I signed up for. I spent the morning shooting off my resume to some other agencies as well as a few job listings I've come across. Hopefully this will bare some fruit. The full time jobs I have applied for are office/admin 9-5 jobs that should be well within my reach. God, at least give me an interview! If I do get called in, I'm not 100% sure how I will handle the pregnancy issue. Legally, I know they're not allowed to ask, but it seems unethical (or at least deceitful) to not inform them that come November I will be taking um, 'time off'...possibly indefinitely?

This is the reason I hesitate to go after the "good jobs I'm qualified for and would build my career." AKA, jobs in the construction industry doing project administration and the like. I feel guilty in the idea of filling a position when in November, I really have no idea what I am going to do. I know I'll take at least 8 weeks off. But frankly, I'm not sure if I will go back even after 12 or 16. I've never had a baby before. I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do. I have a real hard time imagining handing over my child to strangers just so I can bring in a little money. I'd rather take the financial hit (if we can afford it, that is...if I have to work, I have to work...don't want anyone to starve). It's more important to me to have someone molding and caring for our child who really loves him/her and has a clear vision of what our values and priorities are when it comes to development and behavior. Not to mention, it's very important to me that I breastfeed for at least 6 months. And most importantly, I don't want to miss anything! All the cuteness? All the hugs and kisses? Oh god, I'm tearing up already...hormones.

That said, the current climate in the temp world has me looking around more. I have compiled a pretty signifcant list of general contractors and architects to send my resume to. Though I think that if I get responses, as soon as they find out I'm pregnant, our conversation will be over. But I can't NOT tell them, right? I mean, I can, but come on...when they find out, they'll probably be kinda pissed. And I don't want to work for people who are pissed at me. Help me internet people, what should I do?

And before you say it, there aren't even any retail jobs downtown. They've all been gobbled up by the college kids. Right now, that is. Who knows what may come up in a few weeks after Suzy is discovered stuffing her purse with Old Navy Madras in the break room.

Ok, bitch-fest is now officially over.

On a side note - Damn! it's really raining outside. Early afternoon thunderstorm...cool. Hopefully behind it is cool dry air. And maybe we'll have an extra pretty sunset...

2 comments:

Katy said...

Hmmm I don't have any advice about telling your potential employers about your little nacho. But have you tried calling the temp agencies every morning? When I was temping, I discovered that they only called people who persistently called them.

When we moved to Pittsburgh, it took Corey a good four months to get a bite from a temp agency. So much for easy solutions!

P-Diddy in Sin City said...

Are there any big corporations that call Burlington home? If so, find out which temp agency they use. People are always on 6 week leaves, etc. YOu can fill in for those types of assignments and then just bounce when you're ready to pop. :)