Monday, June 11, 2007

Confession...I am 12

We have two books on rotation before bedtime. Whether Sam gets any of it is doubtful, but he'll sit in my lap and bat at the pictures while I read. One is Green Eggs and Ham, which is usually a little long for his wee attention span. By the time Sam I Am gets the grumpy, um, hairy thing, to try them, My Sam is all figety and arching his back.

The other book is The Runaway Bunny. It's a sweet tale about a little bunny who tells his mother that he's going to run away and then she says how she'll run after him. Then he says he'll be a flower, so she says she'll be a gardner. So then he says if she's a gardner he'll be a fish, so she says she'll be a fisherman... and on and on. You get the picture.

At one point he says he'll be a sailboat, and she says she be the wind and blow him where she wants him to go.

Then the little bunny says."If you become the wind and blow me"...

...and everytime I stifle a giggle.

Because nothing is funnier than the implication of bunny incest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been catching up on stuff I've missed since dropping out of blogging for a while. Just thought I'd say hello...

...and it's nice to see that people can still get a laugh out of bunny...incest?

KidTaster said...

That book was recently targeted by my overzealous moms' group for advocating mothers taking away their kids' freedom of movement. I mean, just because he is a baby bunny doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his own personal space. Mommy bunny is SO in need of some lessons on healthy boundaries. Blah blah blah blah BLAH!

I'd rather have a conversation about the implications of bunny incest.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bret!

Um, the bunny wants to "runaway"... not just go hang out by himselft for a while. I actually like that the mama bunny is kinda saying...go ahead, but I'm going to be there for you, no matter what. I find it reassuring for little ones, not limiting. I guess their little bunnies can become fish and jump in a lake, but I think I'll keep tabs on mine.

oh, and I saw you tagged me...I started a post, but never finished. me so tired. I can't think...or write.

KidTaster said...

This group has also railed against The Giving Tree for pressuring moms to be martyrs and Guess How Much I Love You (another bunny story) for making love too competitive. Folks have too much time on their hands.

Misty DawnS said...

My husband swears that Green Eggs and Ham is the greatest book ever written! We had to purchase it for our nieces as a Christmas gift one year - my sister-in-law and her husband will NEVER forgive us. They ended up hiding the book somewhere.

I find it perplexing that the man who swears Green Eggs and Ham is the greatest book ever - has never even seen the original Grinch Who Stole Christmas! Sometimes I wonder if my husband even had a real childhood ;-)